The Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution introduced the Legal Metrology Act, 2009, the Act received the assent on 13th January, 2010 and came into force with effect from 1st April, 2011. The Department of Legal Metrology is the nodal agency for the implementation of the Act. The objective of the Act is to establish and enforce standards of weights and measures, regulate trade and commerce in weights, measures and other goods which are sold or distributed by weight, measure or number and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
Legal Metrology Services for Weights and Measurements Items:
Products related to ‘weights and measures’ are required to take five different registrations from the Department of Legal Metrology.
1. Stamping of Weights and Measures :- Every Person having any weight or measures in his possession, custody or control in circumstances indicating that such weight or measure is being, or is intended or is likely to be, used by him in any transaction or for protection, shall, before putting such weight or measure into such use, have such weight or measure verified at such place and during such hours as the Controller may, by general or special order, specify in this behalf, on payment of such fees as may be prescribed.
2. Dealership License :- Dealer in relation to any weight or measure, means a person who, carries on, directly or otherwise, the business of buying, selling, supplying or distributing any such weight or measure, whether for cash or for deferred payment or for commission, remuneration or other valuable consideration, and includes a commission agent, an importer, a manufacturer, who sells, supplies, distributes or otherwise delivers any weight or measure manufactured by him to any person other than a dealer.
3. Model Approval :- Every person, before manufacturing or importing any weight or measure shall seek the approval of model of such weight or measure in such manner, on payment of such fee and from such authority as may be prescribed: if the prescribed authority is satisfied that the model of any weight or measure which has been approved in a country outside India conforms to the standards established by or under this Act, approve such model without any test or after such test as he may deem fit.
4. Importer License :- No person shall import any weight or measure unless he is registered with the Director in such manner and on payment of such fees, as may be prescribed.
5. Packaged Commodity Registration :- An application under Rule 27 of Packaged Commodities Rules, 2011 to the Director or the Controller for all packed commodities which are meant for end customers.
DISCLAIMER :- The use of this website does not constitute the rendering of legal advice by the author to the reader. The above content is for the knowledge of readers, based on the above, the readers are advised to make any legal decisions but to put their reliance on respective legal professionals.