September 09, 2022
Public Grievances, Redressal, Time Limits Under Legal Metrology
Public grievances and their redressal methods and time limits for different types of work relating to traders or consumers under Legal Metrology have been explained in the table given below:
|Sr. no.||Item of work||Time limit||Concerned Department|
|1.||Issue of registration, Certificate, renewal of user of weights and measures, and certificate||Within seven days of submitting applications or on the due date whichever is later||Jurisdictional Assistant Comptroller/ Inspector Legal Metrology|
|2.||Renewal of licence or packer, dealer and manufacturer||Within 30 days of submission of the application||Comptroller of Legal Metrology|
|3.||Verification or re-verification and stamping of weights and measures etc||Next day of production of weights or measures for weighing and measuring instruments,
three days of its production
|Jurisdictional Assistant Comptroller/ Inspector of Legal Metrology|
|4.||Issue of registration certificate of the manufacturer, Packer of pre packaged commodities||Within 30 days of application||Assistant controller, Central Laboratory/ packaged commodities of Legal Metrology.|
|5.||Issue of fresh licence for Repairer, manufacturer, and dealer of the commodity||Within 30 days of submissions of applications||Comptroller of Legal Metrology|
|6.||Test of net contents checking at Manufacturer, Packers premises in case of errors beyond maximum permissible error||Immediately after completion of the first Test if prescribed fee is paid||Jurisdictional assistant controller/ inspector legal metrology|
|7.||Changes to be incorporated in registration of manufacturer/ Packerof pre packaged commodities||Within 15 days of submissions of application||Comptroller of Legal Metrology|
|8.||Action on complaint for violation of provision of weights and measures laws||Within 20 days of filing the complaint||Comptroller Legal Metrology through respective jurisdictional assistant controller/ inspector|
|9.||Alteration/ changes to be made in the licences of repairer, manufacturer, and dealer of weights and measures||Within 15 days of submissions of applications||Comptroller of Legal Metrology|
|10.||Registration of shorter address of manufacturer or Packer of commodity in package forms||Within 30 days of applications||Comptroller Legal Metrology|
|11.||Issue of duplicate licence copy to repair manufacturer and dealer of weights and measures||Within 15 days of application||Comptroller of Legal Metrology|
Violations that affect the Consumer Interest under Legal Metrology
Any person who can be a manufacturer, repairer, dealer, or packer of the commodity who does not comply with the rules and regulations of legal metrology is heading towards violation of the law in force. Various violations can be done or committed by a person if he does the followings:
- Counterfeiting, tampering, removal of seals, and increasing dimensions or altering weights to deceive any person in a transaction are committed by the manufacturer, packer, or importer of the commodity.
- Selling any article less than the quantity contracted for, or rendering any service less than the service contract for buying any article over the commodity paid for.
- Use of weights, measures, weighing and measuring instruments other than those prescribed under the rules.
- Sale of delivery of commodities by non-standard weights or measures or weighing or measuring instruments.
- Dealing with the consumer without obtaining a LMPC licence from the Legal Metrology Department.
- Use of quotations otherwise than in terms of standard units like weights, measures, weighing, and measuring instruments.”
- Weights, measures, weighing, and measuring instruments, other than standard ones prescribed under the act inforce.
- Keeping on non-standard weights and measures or being in measuring instruments for use in transactions.
- Pre-packaged commodities, whether they are manufactured in the state, interstate, or imported, shall not be sold, delivered, stored, displayed, or distributed for sale unless the package complies with the provisions of Legal Metrology Packaged commodity act and the rules.
- Sale of unstamped weights and measures, weighing and measuring instruments.
- Use of weights and measures, weighing and measuring instruments not re-verified and stamped on or after the due dates.
- Keeping non-standard weights or measures or weighing or measuring instruments for use in transactions.
- Entering into a contract or other agreement in terms of any standard weights or measures other than the approved standard weights or measures, etc.
- Entering into a contract or other agreement in terms of standard weights or measures other than the approved standard weights or measures, etc.
- Alteration and tempering with any licence issued by the department of legal metrology under the act or rules.
What should not be done to violate the Legal Metrology Rules?
- No person shall give false information to the legal metrology department, which may be required or asked for, and no person shall submit either a false return or maintain a false record or register.
- Selling or delivering rejected weights, measures, weighing, and measuring instruments.
- No person shall, in any way, be the controller, assistant controller, inspector, or another official of the department of legal metrology lead the leniency while conducting the inspection and verification of documents of an applicant.
- No employer shall avoid the vicarious responsibilities for the offences committed by his employee.
- No retail dealer or another person, including the manufacturer, packer, or wholesale dealer, shall make a sale of any commodity in the packed form at a price exceeding the detailed sale price (MRP) printed on the package or the label affixed thereto.
- No package shall be sold, delivered, or displayed for sale unless it has the declared quantity on it or the label attached thereto.
- No person shall pre-pack any commodity unless he shall register himself in accordance with the Standards of Weights and Measures Packaged (Commodities) Rules, 1977.
- No person shall impersonate in any way the controller, inspectors, assistant controllers, or any other official of the legal metrology department.
- No LPG should be sold by breaking the seal or without mentioning the net content thereof. No retail dealer, manufacturer or another person shall obliterate, smudge, or alter the retail sale price (MRP) indicated on the package or the label a fixed thereto.
- No package shall be sold, delivered, or displayed unless it contains the declared quantity on it or the label affixed thereto.
Appeal of the citizens or consumers
- By not neglecting the provision of the legal metrology department and laws enforced and assisting the department, thus said laws stop promptly reporting to the authorities concerned any instance of malpractice by way of short weight means or measurement of commodities or any other violations of department laws enforced for taking legal action.
- In the event of any fault being noticed, consumer must cooperate to report it to the enforcement officials of the respective jurisdiction or area so that the malpractice is brought to the books to enable the department to take action for such default by imposing a fine and requiring the defaulter to pay a fine for the offence in the court of law.
- Consumers should keep themselves aware of weights and measures laws, participate in the consumer awareness program conducted by the legal metrology department, and keep in touch with the department. To cooperate and give additional suggestions, if any, to improve the present activities of the department, a person should be aware of all the laws and their rights.