The Legal Metrology department of India provides safeguard for the interest of the public, consumer, environment, and trade. The department is precise and very much careful about the fair-trade practice within the premises of India however the economy of India and the well-being of citizens rely on the rules and regulations of the government as well as the decisions taken by the government with respect to the industry that utilized the Legal Metrology for their day-to-day trades which takes place between the consumer and the trader in the country. In this article we are going to discuss the Legal Metrology functions for the economy and how Legal Metrology plays an important role and contributes to the Indian economic system.
Functions of Legal Metrology for the Indian economy
There are several roles that are played by the Indian Legal Metrology system and have been taken care of by the Legal Metrology officers with regard to the trade in the country and to increase the economic system of the country. Here we are going to discuss the functions of the legal metrology department which contributes a lot to the Indian economic system. Search functions are given below:
- Reduction of disputes between the trader and the consumer, between the business-to-business etc.
- Reduction of transaction costs bare by the consumer while purchasing any kind of commodity or product.
- Legal Metrology plays a role in providing support to the trade businesses in India.
- The department of legal metrology has full control over the biased and unfair advantages in the commencement of any trade business Kavya and the Legal Metrology also ensures that only fair-trade practice is going to take place which benefits the vendor purchasing goods to sell, the seller, and the consumer of the product.
- Legal Metrology helps in avoiding inadequate measurement practice and promotes the fair-trade practice and fair expenditure of money for the consumers.
- It provides the support to save the time and the money for the commodity which is consumed by both the consumer and the vendor.
- Its function is to manage the management over control of his stock and reduction in fraudulent activities.
- Only because of the legal metrology the measurements that are traceable and provide the basic framework of stock control and are deemed reliable by the consumer.
- It also reduces the commencement of any fraudulent activity and promotes the efficiency in the management of the stock control system.
- It provides assistance in the collection of the required government revenue which ultimately gives great support to the Indian economic system and helps the government to make better decisions.
- The department of legal metrology also assisted in the collection of revenue by the Government of India and their states.
- It also assessed the government in exercising applicable taxes for the respective measurements. The taxes can be applicable on the quantity of products sold, exported, and imported in the market in a bulk commodity such as gold, rice, natural gas etc.
- It helps in the reduction of technical barriers to trade business in the Indian economic system.
- The legal metrology system in India is practiced according to the regulation of internationally set norms which provides the confidence and clarity to the trade business owners.
- It also ensures the development of the economy nationally and internationally and also it encourages participation in global trading.
- Legal metrology plays an important role to promote the good governance in India and the department also regulates various areas of laws such as safety laws, traffic control laws, environmental laws, occupational health and safety laws, air traffic control laws, etc.
- It also encourages the promotion of good and reliable governance.
Report of National Measurement System Review
National measurement report which is also known as the national measurement system review aims at the discussion to improve understanding of economic rules in a national measurement system. (Read also: Legal Metrology for Measurement Infrastructure)
However, the fundamental rationale for public funding and contribution to the metrologies for identifying the value of the economic and social benefit that it generates is the primary focus on the economics of innovation and measurements contribution to this. The measurement considered for identifying the benefits of measurement are given below:
- Direct measurement by polling beneficiaries,
- Engineering economics where the economic model is derived from the engineering fundamental of measurements.,
- Case studies which are particularly useful in identifying externalities and beneficiaries.
- Economic studies make indirect interference of the effect of measurement from correlation with macro-economic data.
The Economic Impact of the Peak Metrology Organization
The Department of Trade and industry national measurement system policy unit reviewed the rationale of the economic benefit national measurement system; the review was limited to the economic impact of the peak Metrologic organization.
The metrology employed was driven from endogenous growth theory and in particular the impact of technology however the impact of Metrology was driven from Metrology related patients as a percentage of total patients.
Trade Metrology System
- There have been many studies of the national measurement system which have been of trade measurement systems. Many of these studies of the national measurement system had been from the perspective of the physical suggestions that an alternative approach would be from the perspective of the user, in particular the consumer. The measurement problem for the consumer probably encompasses the most type of physical measurement.
- The issue of the economic impact of trade measurement compliance program and in particular of the monetary value of the under or overcharging economic distortion caused by the measurement instrument inaccuracies.
- The method used had three components which are given below:
- Major of the performance of devices taken from weights and measures inspection reports.
- Obtaining from census data the value for each census division in each state, of commodities sold at different points in the commerce chain.
- Estimates of the fraction of these commodities being sold by class of measuring device or by packaging.
- It has also been assumed for simplification that measuring device error followed a normal distribution and non-compliances were calculated for deviation. The data was still being collected and there was a discussion about whether the economic distortion should be related to the extent to which an instrument was outside or the total inaccuracy of the instrument.
Model scores each sector using six indicators
The model is the course of each sector using six indicators are given below:
- Appliance of grade measurement devices in the sector.
- Economic risk to the vulnerable party.
- Dependence of the vulnerable party to receive accurate measurement.
- Economic significance of this sector.
- Reliance on trade measurement.
- Consistency and conformance of those devices which established standards.
- Compliance with trade measurement devices in the sector.
Terminative Levels of Intervention in Model
There is a total of six cumulative levels of intervention which were defined in the model are as given below:
- Established rules for accurate measurement of the product.
- Traceability of measurement is standard.
- Established mechanism to enforce.
- Established mechanism for device performance disputes.
- Established mechanism for dispute resolution.
- Establish petrology for the measurement devices.