There are various powers granted to the legal metrology officers, which enable them to check and inspect the compliance of the act and rules as well as ensure the interests of the public. However, some power delegated to the officers may differ from state to state. Here we are providing the general power of the officer provided under the Legal Metrology Act by the legal metrology department to its officers. Officers of Legal Metrology ensure that the Dispute under Legal Metrology will not arise.
Power of Controller under Legal Metrology
- The Controller of Legal Metrology shall exercise the power of the director delegated to him under the act.
- Power to implement the provisions of the act and rules within the state.
- Financial power to sanction as per the delegation of power under the Delegation Power Rules.
- Power to appoint authority to all non-gazetted officers and staff
- Power to sanction leave to all the staff in the Directorate, Zonal, and Inspectorate offices.
- Power to grant licenses to the repairer, dealer, and manufacturer of weight and measures
- Power to register the packer, manufacturer, and importer of packaged commodities.
- Power to supervise the work of all legal metrology officers in the state.
- Power to give directions to the legal metrology officers from time to time within the state.
- Power to provide working and secondary standard weight, balance, measurement, and other equipment to every legal metrology officer per the Legal Metrology rules.
- He has the power to hear appeals and decide the same in a manner as provided in the act or send back the case with such directions as he may think fit.
- Ensure the specification of standards under Legal Metrology.
Power of the Joint Controller of Legal Metrology
- The Joint Controller of Legal Metrology has the power conferred on him by the act subject to the limitations and delegated powers of the controller prescribed by the activities within his local limits.
- Power to assist the controller in all the matters of administration, accounting, and guide in technical as well as legal matters pertaining to legal metrology rules or acts.
- Power to provide public information officers under the RTI act
- Power to deal with the compounding of offenses under the act as authorized by the controller from time to time.
- Power to supervise and control the staff at headquarters.
- Power to assist the controller in appeals filed under the act.
- Power to seek approval from the controller in the matter of inspection by inspectorate officers or inspectorate offices
- Power to carry inspection as per the directions of the controller
Power of Deputy Controller of Legal Metrology
- The Deputy Controller of Legal Metrology exercised the power conferred on him by the act subject to the limitation and delegated powers of the controller under the act within his local limits.
- Power to deal with the compounding of offenses as authorized by the controller from time to time.
- Assistant public information officers as per the RTI act
- Power to assist controller and joint controller in the matters related to compounding of offenses, office establishment, and appeal under the act
- Power to carry out office inspections of subordinate offices
- Power to perform any other function or duties assigned to him by the controller.
- Power to perform functions and duties assigned to him by the joint controller from time to time.
Power of inspector of Legal Metrology Headquarter
- The Inspector of Legal Metrology headquarters has the power to assist superiors in all matters related to working standards and secondary standard laboratories
- To assist superiors in the work related to the issuance of registration for Packer and manufacturer
- To assist superiors in the work related to the renewal of the license of the manufacturer, issuance of the license of the manufacturer, and Packer
- Power to check all the reports submitted by the inspectors.
- Power to assist superiors in the work related to the license of the manufacturer, repairer, and dealer of weights and measures.
- Power to perform any other duties and functions assigned by the controller from time to time.
Importance of Legal Metrology Consultancy
- The Legal Metrology consultancy plays an important role in the field of manufacturing, repairing, or importing pre-packed commodities and in the field of weight and measurement.
- The legal metrology expert helps you to get into the business of weights and measures by complying with all its rules and regulations as per the act and the legal metrology department.
- The Legal Metrology consultancy will help you to understand the powers of the Legal Metrology officers and the duties of the Legal Metrology officers.
- Also, from the expert of Legal Metrology, you will get to know that the Legal Metrology office is located in various states and districts in India and you should approach to the office of your jurisdiction.
Importance of Power given to legal metrology officers
The power given to legal metrology officers plays an important role in maintaining the proper work by the legal metrology department and the compliance by the manufacturer, importer, dealer, and seller of the weight and measures. Without giving power to the legal metrology officers, proper compliance with the act and rules and regulations for the manufacturer as well as for the offices of the Legal Metrology department would not happen.
- The power given to the legal metrology officers enabled them to keep a proper check on the subordinates of the department.
- Also, it is important because the officers can inspect the files and the work delegated to the subordinates.
- The proper chain of work would take place because of the power of the officer.
- The officer also provides accountability for the work and compliance with the act.
- It also provides awareness in the country and to the citizens of the country, as the Legal Metrology officers have the power to spread awareness among the consumers and the citizens of the country.
- The legal metrology officers also maintain discipline in the legal metrology department
- Power allows the seniors to delegate their duties to their subordinates.
- This is important for the subordinates as they are accountable for the duties that have been delegated to them by the senior.
There are various powers granted to the legal metrology officers of different ranks and of different states. Such powers and duties may differ slightly from state to state, but the motive of all the Legal Metrology officers in departments is to secure the interests of the public and the smooth running of the weight and measure business in the Indian market. The department of legal metrology ensures that no fraud activity should be done in the Indian market and no fraud should be conducted by any manufacturer, dealer, importer, or packer.
The LMPC certificate or LMPC registration or license is important for the manufacturer, importer, dealer, or seller of the pre-packed commodity weight or measures.