- Amendments in Legal Metrology (packed commodities) rules 2011
- Importance of amendment in Legal Metrology (packed commodities) rules 2011
- Legal Metrology consultancy for declarations on packages
- Most of the time, it happens that certain people do not understand the entire declaration part of the commodity because it is not understandable to them due to some technical words or some abbreviations, etc. Considering this fact, the central government has made the amendments so that the open MRP will be known to the consumer, which will be inclusive of all the taxes on the commodity.
As we are all aware, the central government plays an important and major role in the legal metrology department and it holds the entire system in the country. The central government keeps on trying to make the best decisions in favor of the consumer to protect their rights and interests and to stop the fraudulent activities in the Indian market by any business, manufacturer, importer, or packer of commodities.
To keep the best compliance and to secure the interests of the consumer in a better way, the central government tries to amend the act in a better form so that it can be implemented entirely and bring the best result. Likewise, recently, the central government has amended legal metrology packaged commodity rules (2011) by keeping the consumer's interest in mind.
In this article, we are going to provide you with information about the amendments that have been made by the central government in the legal metrology packed commodities rules 2011. Importance of Legal Metrology for business and compliance of the act by business is mandatory for the interest of consumer.
Amendments in Legal Metrology (packed commodities) rules 2011
The amendments introduced by the central government under the act are given below:
- The amendments to the act made by the central government came into force on April 1, 2022, which was declared by the ministry of consumer affairs, food and public distributions.
- The department of consumer affairs, under the ministry of consumer affairs, food and public distribution, has made amendments to safeguard the interests of consumers.
- It has omitted rule five of the Legal Metrology (packaged commodities) rules (2011), defining the schedule for prescribing the pack size of various types of commodities.
- The provision of LMPC declarations of MRP has been simplified by removing illustrations and providing for making the mandatory declarations of MRP in Indian currency inclusive of all the taxes.
- It has allowed the packer, importer, and manufacturer to declare the MRP on the package with all formality in a simplified manner.
- Earlier, such a declaration could be noted in the form of "N" or "U" only, but now the quantities can be expressed in terms of the following:
- Pair, or
- Set or such other word which represents the quantity in the package.
- This amendment has removed the ambiguity of the declaration of quantity sold by number in prepackaged commodities.
- It has also removed the ambiguity of the declaration of quantity sold by number in prepackaged commodities.
- The central government amended the Legal Metrology (package commodity) rules 2011 in favor of safeguarding the interests of consumers by making the declaration of the maximum retail price in Indian currency inclusive of all the tax on all pre-packed commodities and date of manufacture mandatory.
Importance of amendment in Legal Metrology (packed commodities) rules 2011
- The amendment under the legal metrology packaged commodities rule 2011 brings more clarity to the declarations on the package of the commodity.
- It has simplified how declarations are made on the commodity, which is easy to understand for the consumer. Even if the consumer is a layman, he can easily gather information about the commodity available in the package by going through the declaration made on the package.
- It has brought more clarity by removing all the confusion. By removing the technical words from the declarations. There is no abbreviation left in the declaration. Complete information is provided in the best manner.
- Strict rules have been implied for the business, manufacturer, importer, and packer of the commodity, and they are required to follow every single rule concerning the declaration on the package of commodity in the interest of general public consumption.
- MRP on the package is written includes all the taxes and nothing is hidden in the prices of the commodity from the consumer.
- The amendments have been made to reduce fraudulent activity in the Indian market while dealing with the consumer.
- Nothing is concealed from the consumer. The amendments ensure the proper declaration about the quantity available in the package will be known to the consumer without creating any confusion.
- The amendments were introduced by the government so that the proper information about the MRP of the commodity and the proper information about the quantity available inside the commodity would be known to the consumer.
Legal Metrology consultancy for declarations on packages
- Any business, manufacturer, packer, importer, or dealer of commodities who has any kind of problem or questions in regards to the recent amendments made by the central government in the activities related to the declarations made on the package of commodities should consult a legal metrology expert or legal metrology consultancy.
- They can make you understand the declarations, such as
- What declaration should be made on the package,
- Where such a declaration should be made on the package, and
- What amendments to the declaration should be made on the package, and they will help you out in making such a LMPC declaration on the package of the commodity.
- ELT Legal Metrology consultancy is one of the best consultancies for businesses, manufacturers, importers, packers, small vendors, etc., to get information about the declarations on the package of commodities and all the recent and mandatory amendments made by the central government for every business dealing in the Indian market.
- It is important for every business, whether it's an e-commerce business or an offline shop, to take prior permission from the Legal Metrology Department to run such a business in India and deal with the Indian consumer.
- The Legal Metrology consultancy will also help you out in taking such permission from the Legal Metrology department and provide you with the LMPC certificate and LMPC license to run the business in the Indian market.
- Every importer who is importing a commodity into the country has to get permission from the central government. In such cases, the ELT Legal Metrology consultancy will help you out thoroughly and will provide you with the permission within a reasonable time so that your business will not be affected in any way and you will get the permission to run the business and import the commodities into India. They will do all the legal formalities on your behalf, which will make your business run smoothly.
Most of the time, it happens that certain people do not understand the entire declaration part of the commodity because it is not understandable to them due to some technical words or some abbreviations, etc. Considering this fact, the central government has made the amendments so that the open MRP will be known to the consumer, which will be inclusive of all the taxes on the commodity.
Also, this will give the consumer an idea of the weight and quantity of the commodity. They will even have the right to check the weight of the commodity and get information about the weight written on the package of the commodity and the weight available inside the package of the commodity.
The Central government has introduced the amendments totally in favor of the consumers so that even if the consumer is not literate, he will get the proper information about the commodity merely by going through the declarations. It has simplified the declarations as much as it can be just to protect the interests of the consumer and make it easy for the consumer to pay right for the right commodity.